Cat's Eye Fiber Optic Glass Sphere - Extra Large - Approx 60 mm (Assorted Colors) w Info Card
Cat's Eye Fiber Optic Glass Sphere - Extra Large - Approx 60 mm (Colors Vary)
Cat's eye is a man-made, synthetic gemstone material; however, it didn't start out that way. It's a by-product of a material manufactured for the telecommunications industry--photo optic glass.
Tiny hair-like strands of pure glass are drawn from glass rods by a high tech, fiber drawing tower. Some of the glass fibers are more than a mile long and are wound on spools. The strands are used in telecommunications to make photo optic cable that transmits light signals at the speed of light over long distances.
Thousands of these hair-sized strands are pressed together under heat and pressure to form thick plates of fiber optic glass. Lapidary artisans use this special chatoyant glass to cut and polish beautiful eggs, spheres, beads, jewelry and art objects.
Picture is representative of the specimen you will receive. Each rock is unique and will vary in size and appearance. No two rocks will be exactly alike.
- Composition: SiO2
- Hardness: Approximately 7.0
- Color can be anything from: gray to green to yellow, also white, red, blue, brown or black
- The colors we have in stock vary, please contact us for color availability if you desire a particular color
- Luster: chatoyant, vitreous
- This is an Extra Large version of the Cat's eye sphere and is approximately 60mm in diameter
- Weighs Approximately 8 oz.
Ages 8 and up